This tasty chicken burrito bowl features a cannabis-infused Tex Mex sauce and is perfect for a social gathering when you’re feeding a crowd.
Burrito bowls are an Instagram sensation. These super healthy meals are packed full of nutritional goodness, and they also look very photogenic! But what if you could combine a passion for food with a love of cannabis? What if you could create your very own canna-infused burrito bowl?
We’re here to inform you that you can do just that. Today, we will be assembling a deconstructed burrito bowl with a delicious marijuana-infused sauce. Think of it like your very own burrito bar; once you have all the ingredients, you can assemble this delightful burrito bowl however you choose.
That’s why burrito bowls are perfect for having guests over. When Cinco de Mayo rolls around, or even if there’s just a big game on TV, prepare all the ingredients, lay them out on the table, and let your guests tuck into their favorite parts.
This recipe includes chicken, but you can easily leave the chicken out if you want a vegetarian meal.
What on Earth Is a Burrito Bowl?!
Burrito bowls are yet another trendy food invention. We all know about burritos: Rice, beans, usually some kind of meat, and sauces like guacamole and salsa. You add all this together inside a tortilla, then roll it up and enjoy.
Burrito bowls are pretty much precisely the same, only without the wrap. For some consumers, the wrap is the ‘stodgy’ part of a burrito, filling you up with carbs before enjoying the rest of the meal. Burrito bowls remove the wrap from the equation so you can enjoy all the filling while still feeling healthy.
How to Make Burrito Bowls at Home
Once you understand the fundamental components of a burrito bowl, you can start to get inventive.
- Rice: Any burrito bowl worth its salt has rice. This recipe calls for healthy brown rice, but you can use white rice, too. You can even get adventurous and use quinoa!
- Beans: Black beans are a burrito bowl classic. You can also use kidney beans or refried beans if you prefer, or even pinto beans.
- Vegetables: Spiced vegetables like bell peppers, carrots, and mushrooms can all go in a burrito bowl. However, you can add pretty much any veg you like. Zucchini, corn, chilis – it all works. It’s also a great idea to add something like kale or lettuce.
- Sauce: Guacamole and salsa are pretty much essential for any burrito bowl. You can also add an additional sauce for extra flavor, as we did in this recipe.
- Meat: This isn’t strictly necessary; vegans and vegetarians can skip this step. However, meat-eaters can include lots of different varieties in their burrito bowls, including chicken and pork.
The best part about burrito bowls is that you can be really creative. If you prefer, you can replace the rice with yam fries, or even feature nachos as the crunchy carbs. It’s all about adding ingredients you love to make the ultimate Mexican-style comfort food.
For us, the only thing that can make a burrito bowl better is by adding cannabis.
Cannabis Burrito Bowls Three Ways
There are multiple ways to turn a burrito bowl into a cannabis-infused delight. Here are three of our best suggestions for adding marijuana to the mix.
As we said, guacamole is essential in any burrito bowl. It’s also one of the simplest – and most versatile – ways to sneak some marijuana into your food. Here are some quick steps for making marijuana-infused guac – you’ll need 4g of your favorite strain.
- Preheat the oven to 225˚F. While it’s warming, grind the cannabis buds into a fine powder. Tip it onto a baking tray and bake for 45+ minutes to decarboxylate it.
- Mix together avocados, lime juice, sour cream, diced tomatoes (chopped small), one clove of garlic (minced), a pinch of sea salt, and a few twists of black pepper.
- When the cannabis is baked, stir it into the mix.
- You can also add spices like cayenne pepper or paprika if you like it hot.
Alternatively, you can add the marijuana infusion via the meat. For this, you’ll need to make cannabutter. It’s a super simple recipe; all you need to do is sauté chicken breasts in the cannabutter for approximately 11 minutes until they are fully cooked on both sides.
Admittedly, this is not the most effective method for adding a cannabis infusion to your food.
So, as an alternative, you can make a cannabis-infused sauce.
We don’t want to give too much away here since this canna burrito bowl recipe features a tasty, cannabis-infused sauce. For any marijuana-infused sauce, you will need some canna-oil.
First, cut up any cannabis buds finely, then decarboxylate them using the method above. This process turns cannabinoid acids into cannabinoids, converting THCA to THC and so on. When the cannabinoids are activated, you can make a cannabis-infused oil.
Simply heat cooking oil, such as olive oil, on a low heat for 3-4 hours with the decarboxylated buds mixed in. It’s better to grind them up before adding them to the oil. Keep stirring to prevent burning. By the end of the four hours, you will have a cannabinoid-infused cooking oil.
Canna-oil is useful for lots of marijuana edible recipes, so it’s something you should have on hand.
Choosing Your Cannabis Strain (Our Pick)
Before we get into the burrito bowl recipe, let’s talk about strains. You can pretty much use any cannabis strain you like in edibles; it all depends on your preference.
For this recipe, we think a sativa is best. After all, burrito bowls are best shared with friends prior to a social gathering, and you want to be awake and energized rather than lethargic and sleepy.
WayofLeaf’s strain pick for this recipe is White Russian. It featured in our list of the Best Social Strains, and for a good reason. The flavors of White Russian are earthy, spicy, and a little bit citrus. It creates a sense of energy and euphoria, perfect for socializing with friends.
White Russian has an average THC content of 16.5%, which is moderate for strains these days. Again, this is perfect for dinner parties where you don’t want people getting too ‘stoned.’
Canna Burrito Bowl with Chicken and Tex Mex Sauce
Now for the best bit! It’s best to prep this recipe ahead of time, as the pickled onions take some time to prepare. With some good planning, you’ll be a popular host if you serve this canna burrito bowl at your next gathering!
For the Bowl:
- 3 cups of brown rice
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can sweetcorn, drained
- 4 chicken breasts or thighs, sliced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 3 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 cup of grated cheese
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
For the Guacamole
- 4 avocados
- ½ cup of sour cream
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
For the Pico de Gallo
- Small red onion, diced finely
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 small tomatoes, diced
For the Canna Tex Mex Sauce
- ½ cup hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons of canna-oil
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Slice up the onion into thin strips, then add to a bowl with 1 cup boiling water, 1 cup white wine vinegar, and one tablespoon of sugar. Leave for 30mins until the onion is pickled, then drain and dry on a cloth.
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions. Add lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Heat a glug of vegetable oil in a large frying pan, add the chicken and fry for 7-10 mins until cooked through. Add salt, paprika, cumin, and one teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside; you can place it on a tray in the center of the oven on a very low heat to keep warm. Cover with foil to prevent it from drying out.
- Add the sweetcorn and black beans to the pan and cook through until warm, adding a dash of lemon juice.
- Make the pico de gallo next by combining all ingredients in a bowl and seasoning to taste.
- Make the guacamole by slicing up the avocados, removing the pits, then combining all ingredients in a bowl.
- Next, make the Tex Mex sauce. Heat the canna-oil in a small saucepan, being careful to avoid burning. Next, add it to a bowl with all the other ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Plate everything up separately. You should have a bowl each of pico de gallo, guacamole, cannabis-infused Tex Mex sauce, rice, chicken, black beans with sweetcorn, and pickled onions. Add another bowl for the grated cheese.
- Serve, and allow people to add everything they want to their own bowls.
Cannabis Burrito Bowl Recipe: Final Thoughts
Although this recipe has lots of steps, it’s not as complicated as it seems. Plus, it’s super delicious, and it will go down a treat!
By the way, the canna Tex Mex sauce is best served drizzled on top of the finished bowl. Depending on what hot sauce you used, it can add quite a kick!
What’s your favorite burrito bowl recipe? Let us know in the comments.